Image Map

Tuesday 28 January 2014

Tea Break

I was at the gym again this morning and half an hour into exercise I had to stop as I could feel the beginnings of a migraine approaching. I came home to discover my undrunk morning cup of tea from breakfast time. So, by 9.30am I had a headache because I hadn't had my usual breakfast bucket of tea - that is a slightly worrying sign of my body's caffeine dependence. That February detox is going to hurt! In the meantime
I set to remedying that by making myself two enormous cups of tea in succession. Headache gone - who needs Nurofen*? (*other painkiller brands are available!)

I also fancied something sweet to go with it so rummaged in the cupboards and came up with these healthy little beauties - sugar, dairy and wheat free but utterly delicious and full of energy. I'm actually amazed they worked! Here's what went into them:



Peanut Butter and Banana Bars

1&1/2 cups porridge oats
1/4 cup ground flaxseeds
a pinch of seasalt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup good maple syrup
2 tbsp honey
1 small ripe banana, mashed
2 tbsp crunchy peanut butter
1/3 cup mixed seeds ( I had sunflower, pumpkin and sesame)
1/2 cup raisins (though chopped apricots would be delish)
extra sesame seeds for sprinkling

I just mixed all the ingredients together in a large bowl and pressed the mixture into a lined brownie pan. Then, I sprinkled some more sesame seeds on the top. It took about 25minutes to bake until golden brown in an oven preheated to 180 degrees. Leave to cool, remove from tin and slice into squares. Mmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment