Image Map

Thursday 16 January 2014

Cosy eats

Well, so much for gentle zen-like yoga. I went to a Body Balance class yesterday morning and today I am completely incapacitated. I can't lift my arms above shoulder height! Agony! But having started the day in a state of mind-body alignment I continued with a day of pure eating (notwithstanding the multiple cups of tea and the 9pm aviation cocktail - nobody's perfect!).  Dinner last night was homemade minestrone soup. It's a regular feature in our house when I feel like we need a really nourishing, comforting supper - it's packed full of green veg and feels like it's doing you so much good. I very often cook it on hubby's return from a business trip as after a week of rich or exotic food something pure and tasty and warming is just perfect. I tend to just bung whatever I've got in the pot, but it is vaguely based on Nigella's minestrone recipe from her 'Kitchen' cookbook.





Nigella's Minestrone
Serves 4

2 tbsp olive oil
1 leek, cleaned, halved lengthwise and finely sliced
1 courgette, peeled, quartered lengthwise and chopped
1/4 -1/2 Savoy cabbage
Handful of fine green beans, trimmed and halved
1 litre vegetable or chicken stock
100g soup pasta (I had some orzo in the cupboard so I used that)
1 tbsp dry white wine or vermouth.
Parmesan rind
Grated Parmesan to serve.

So easy - cook the leek and courgette in the oil for 5 minutes. Add the cabbage and beans and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the stock and any leftover Parmesan rinds you may have, bring to a simmer, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Uncover, chuck in the pasta and cook for 10 minutes or so (depends on the type of pasta you are using). Once the pasta is cooked add the wine or vermouth. Season to taste and eat after cooling for 10 minutes or so topped with Parmesan and a drizzle of good peppery olive oil.

So good.....and I've got leftovers for today's lunch too!




No comments:

Post a Comment